Unless noted below, the trash and recycling in Lower Heidelberg Township is picked up by J.P. Mascaro & Sons. If a pick-up is missed, please call the Township office (610-678-3393) “As Soon As Possible”, so that we can notify the route supervisor.
2022 Trash & Recycling Schedule: Click here for the 2022 Trash & Recycling Schedule
WEATHER PERMITTING, PLEASE PUT YOUR TRASH OR RECYLING OUT THE NIGHT BEFORE, SO THAT IT IS OUT WHEN J.P. MASCARO COMES BY TO PICK IT UP.
HOLIDAYS: In weeks containing a Holiday, collection of trash and recycling will take place ONE DAY LATER THAN USUAL. If there is a MONDAY holiday, then your trash will be picked up on Tuesday. If there is a THURSDAY holiday, then your recycling will be picked up on Friday. All collection schedules will return to normal beginning the Monday of the next week.
Holidays observed: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- TRASH: Trash pickup is every Monday. 2022 Trash & Recycling Schedule
- TRASH: The maximum total number of cans or bags of trash that you can put out is six (6).
- BULK ITEMS: You are allowed to put one (1) bulk item out with your trash on Mondays. Items NOT allowed: appliances/items containing Freon, electronics, car parts, oil based paints, hazardous materials, tires, and construction materials.
- BULK ITEMS: Proper Mattress and box spring disposal: Due to recent infestations of bed bugs spreading from mattresses/box springs to employees, mattresses and box springs must be bagged and sealed in plastic mattress bags before they will be collected. You can find mattress disposal bags at most major retailers and home improvement stores, such as Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart, Amazon.com, etc. Mattresses and box springs will not be picked up if they are not bagged.
- BULK ITEMS: “Bundles” containing florescent tubes or metal posts must be securely tied with rope or twine and not exceed the 50 lbs weight and be no more than four (4) feet in length and sixteen (16) inches in width or depth.
- ORGANIC WASTE: Organic waste will not be collected at the curb with your Monday trash pick-up or in your recycling. Organic waste meeting the regulations of South Heidelberg Township can be taken to the South Heidelberg Township Organic Waste Site on Point Road, Wernersville, off of Route 422. You must apply for access before you can take any organic waste there. Lower Heidelberg Township does not control this site or process applications for use. Information on applying for access to use the site can be found on the South Heidelberg Township Website http://www.shtwp.org.
- ORGANIC WASTE: The exception to the above rule (#6) concerning Organic waste, will be that the Township Road crew will be picking up organic waste on several specified dates. The dates for the 2022 Special Yard Debris Pick-ups have not been set at this time.
Recycling pickup is every other Thursday. Due to the population size of Lower Heidelberg Township, the Township is mandated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to have a Recycling Program in place. This program requires all residents and businesses to recycle. The Township is divided into two zones with Green Valley Road being the dividing line between the two zones: Zone 1 is to the East and Zone 2 is to the West. Click here for the 2022 Trash & Recycling Schedule.
- Place recyclables in your recycling bin only.
- Make sure the bins are clearly marked “RECYCLING”
- Do not use plastic bags
RECYCLABLE ITEMS TO BE COLLECTED:
- Glass (clear, green & brown)
- Steel, aluminum & bimetal cans
- Foil and foil trays
- Plastics #1 – #7, Plastic & plastic containers (all colors) greater than two (2) gallons (i.e. large laundry detergent container). Plastic bottles used as containers for soda, milk and other consumable food products and for certain household cleaning products and personal car products are acceptable. Empty over the counter pill bottles (no prescription pill bottles). Lids (wider than 3″). Plastic plant pots.
- Newspapers (including inserts: comics, ads, etc), junk mail, office paper, magazines, cereal boxes, junk mail, phone books, empty paper bags, and envelopes should be placed in paper grocery bags or tied in bundles.
- Cardboard and corrugated paper: must be flattened and cut into 2 x 2 ft. pieces and placed in paper grocery bags or tied in bundles.
- Organic waste will not be collected at the curb with your Monday trash pick-up or in your recycling. Organic waste meeting the regulations of South Heidelberg Township can be taken to the South Heidelberg Township Organic Waste Site on Point Road, Wernersville, off of Route 422. You must apply for access before you can take any organic waste there. Lower Heidelberg Township does not control this site or process applications for use. Information on applying for access to use the site can be found on the South Heidelberg Township Website http://www.shtwp.org.
- ORGANIC WASTE: The exception to the above rule concerning Organic waste, will be that the Township Road crew will be picking up organic waste on several specified dates. The dates for the 2022 Special Yard Debris Pick-ups have not been set at this time.
Notice to all businesses, commercial, industrial, institutional, multi-family with 4 or more units, and municipal property owners:
You are responsible to provide your own Municipal Waste collection at your own expense by means of sanitary and legal disposal of such waste in accordance with Township Ordinances 304 and 355, and all applicable Township, State and Federal laws and regulations.
IN-HOUSE TOWNSHIP RECYCLING EFFORTS:
The in-house township recycling programs listed below are not a part of the mandated recycling program, but are a Township sponsored effort to reduce land fill waste.
MEDICATION DISPOSAL (made possible by CVS). Prescription medications can be dropped off in the bright red “Medication Disposal” box located in the vestibule at the Township office, 720 Brownsville Road, Sinking Spring. DO NOT LEAVE MEDICATION OUTSIDE OF THE RECEPTACLE OR OUTSIDE THE OFFICE DOORS. If doors are locked, please return during business hours (8 AM – 4 PM, Monday – Friday).
Items accepted, as of 2/1/2022.
- Prescription Medication* (Schedule II-V controlled and non-controlled)
- Over-the-counter medications*
- Liquid medication bottles (less than 4 oz. in zip lock bag)
- *In original packaging, if possible.
Items not accepted, as of 2/1/2022.
- Illegal (Schedule 1) drugs
- Needles/syringes or Sharps containers
- Medical devices, Batteries
- Aerosol cans, Inhalers
- Mercury-containing devices
STYROFOAM: If you have Styrofoam blocks from packaging, they may be brought to the Township office during regular business hours. We will forward the Styrofoam to a recycling center. Please do not bring Styrofoam coolers that have foil lining; these cannot be recycled. Please bring only clean, dry, white and unmarked/untaped pieces for recycling. The recycling facility will not accept pieces that are dirty or with markings and/or tape on them. We are no longer accepting the packaging peanuts; these can be taken to either of the local Pack and Ship stores (one is in the shopping center on Commerce Drive, Wyomissing and the other is at the Giant Shopping Center on 724).
USED LINENS: Do you have worn out sheets, towels and blankets? Please bring your clean, used linens to the Township office and we will forward them to local animal shelters to use as bathing and bedding materials.