- Trash pickup is every Monday.
- The maximum total number of cans or bags of trash that you can put out is six (6).
- You are now allowed to put one (1) bulk item out with your trash on Mondays. Items NOT allowed: appliances/items containing Freon, electronics, car parts, oil based paints, hazardous materials, tires, and construction materials.
- “Bundles” containing lumber, florescent tubes, or metal posts must be securely tied with rope or twine and not exceed the maximum weight and be no more than four (4) feet in length and sixteen (16) inches in width or depth.
- Organic waste (grass clippings, twigs, brush trimmings, and leaves) will not be collected at the curb with your Monday trash pick-up. Organic waste may be taken to the South Heidelberg Township Organic Waste Site on Point Road off of Route 422..Point Road Directions
- The exception to the above listed rule (#3) concerning Organic waste happens three times a year when there are Special Yard Debris pick-ups. Yard Debris must be bundled or contained in trash containers. In 2019 the Special Yard Debris Pick-up Dates are: May 15, October 2, and December 11.
Recycling pickup is every other Thursday. The Township is divided into two zones, Zone 1 East and Zone 2 West; Green Valley Road is the dividing line. The Recycling Calendar for 2019 is available for viewing below:
If you would like to print the calendar, please download it first, and then print from Adobe.
In weeks containing a Holiday, collection of trash and recycling will take place ONE DAY LATER THAN USUAL. If there is a MONDAY holiday, then your trash will be picked up on Tuesday. If there is a THURSDAY holiday, then your recycling will be picked up on Friday. All collection schedules will return to normal beginning the Monday of the next week.
Holidays are as follows:
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
RECYCLABLE ITEMS TO BE COLLECTED:
- Glass (clear, green & brown)
- Steel, aluminum & bimetal cans
- Plastic & plastic containers no greater than two (2) gallons (i.e. large laundry detergent container). Plastic bottles used as containers for soda, milk and other consumable food products and for certain household cleaning products and personal car products are acceptable.
- Newspapers (including inserts: comics, ads, etc), junk mail, office paper, magazines, cereal boxes, junk mail, and envelopes should be placed in paper grocery bags or tied in bundles.
- Cardboard and corrugated paper (Must be cut 2 x 2 ft. and placed in paper grocery bags or tied in bundles.
Grass clippings, twigs, brush trimmings, all yard waste must be taken to the South Heidelberg Township Organic Matter Drop-off Site on Point Road.
If you have a question about your trash or recycling, of if your trash or recycling is not collected, please call Waste Management directly at 800-633-9096. When the operator picks up, please state that Lower Heidelberg Township is the account and that you are a resident of the Township. Waste Management will not have your individual name and address on file, so they need the Township information in order to help you.
Notice to all businesses, commercial, industrial, institutional, multi-family with 4 or more units, and municipal property owners:
You are responsible to provide your own Municipal Waste collection at your own expense by means of sanitary and legal disposal of such waste in accordance with Township Ordinances 304 and 355, and all applicable Township, State and Federal laws and regulations.
The Township has recently initiated an in-house recycling program to collect polystyrene foam (Styrofoam) and used linens. The collection of polystyrene (Styrofoam) and linens is not part of the mandated recycling program; it is a Township sponsored effort to reduce land fill waste.
IN-HOUSE TOWNSHIP RECYCLING EFFORTS
If you have Styrofoam blocks from packaging, they may be brought to the Township office during regular business hours. We will forward the Styrofoam to a recycling center. Please do not bring Styrofoam coolers that have foil lining; these cannot be recycled. Please bring only clean, dry, white and unmarked/untaped pieces for recycling. The recycling facility will not accept pieces that are dirty or with markings and tape on them. We are no longer accepting the packaging peanuts; these can be taken to either of the local Pack and Ship stores (one is in the shopping center on Commerce Drive, Wyomissing and the other is at the Giant Shopping Center on 724).
Do you have worn out sheets, towels and blankets? Please bring your clean, used linens to the Township office and we will forward them to local animal shelters to use as bathing and bedding materials.