Trash pickup is every Monday.
Recycling pickup is every other Thursday. The Township is divided into two zones, Zone 1 East and Zone 2 West, with Green Valley Road as the dividing line. The Recycling Calendar for 2017 is available for viewing below:
If you would like to print the calendar, please download it first, and then print from Adobe.
Holidays are as follows:
New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
*In those weeks with a Holiday, collection of trash and recycling will take place ONE DAY LATER THAN USUAL. If there is a MONDAY holiday, then your trash will be picked up on Tuesday. If there is a THURSDAY holiday, then your recycling will be picked up on Friday. All collection schedules will return to normal beginning Monday of the next week.
Notice To All Lower Heidelberg Residents
Regarding Trash Pickup
- You are now allowed to put one (1) bulk item with your trash on Mondays. Items NOT allowed: appliances containing Freon, electronics, car parts, oil based paints, hazardous materials, tires, Freon containing items & construction materials.
- “Bundles” containing lumber, florescent tubes, metal posts must be securely tied with rope or twine not to exceed the maximum weight & no more than four (4) feet in length and sixteen (16) inches in width or depth.
- Grass Clippings, twigs, brush trimmings will not be collected at the curb with your Monday trash pick-up (no more grass dumpster at the Township Building). The maximum total number of cans or bags of trash that you can put out is six (6).
Recyclable items to be Collected:
- Glass (clear, green & brown)
- Steel, aluminum & bimetal cans
- Plastic & plastic containers no greater than two (2) gallons (i.e. large laundry detergent container). Plastic bottles used as containers for soda, milk and other consumber food products and for certain household cleaning products and personal car products are acceptable.
- Newspapers (including inserts: comics, ads, etc), junk mail, office paper, Magazines, Cereal.
- Boxes, Junk Mail, Envelopes should be placed in paper grocery bags.
- Cardboard and corrugated paper (cardboard must be cut 2 x 2 ft. & tied in bundles or placed in paper grocery bags.
Grass clippings, twigs, brush trimmings, all yard waste must be taken to the South Heidelberg Township Organic Matter Drop-off Site on Point Road.
If you have a question about your trash or recycling, of if your trash or recycling is not collected, please call Waste Management directly at 800-633-9096. When the operator picks up, please state that Lower Heidelberg Township is the account and that you are a resident of the Township. Waste Management will not have your individual name and address on file, so they need the Township information in order to help you.
In-House Township Recycling Efforts:
The Township has recently initiated an in-house recycling program to collect polystyrene foam (Styrofoam) and used linens. The collection of polystyrene (Styrofoam) and linens is not part of the mandated recycling program; it is a Township sponsored effort to reduce land fill waste.
If you have Styrofoam blocks from packaging, they may be brought to the Township office during regular business hours. We will forward the Styrofoam to a recycling center. Please do not bring Styrofoam coolers that have foil lining; these cannot be recycled. Please bring only clean, dry, white and unmarked/untaped pieces for recycling. The recycling facility will not accept pieces that are dirty or with markings and tape on them. We are no longer accepting the packaging peanuts; these can be taken to either of the local pack and ship stores (one is in the Isaac’s shopping center and the other is at the Giant Shopping Center on 724).
The Township is currently working to establish a partnership with the Berks County Solid Waste Authority to bring polystyrene materials to a recycling company that will then turn them into home insulation. New recycling initiatives require cooperation between local and county agencies, and also can benefit from public participation in these efforts. If you are committed to improving our recycling efforts and reducing our dependence on landfills, please consider either volunteering to help implement a new polystyrene recycling program, or contacting the Berks County Solid Waste Authority to voice your support for such a program. If you are interested in volunteering, please call the Township office at 610-678-3393.
Do you have worn out sheets, towels and blankets? Please bring your clean, used linens to the Township office and we will forward them to local animal shelters to use as bathing and bedding materials.